Monday 6 June 2016

Banoffee Pie

Good afternoon to you all. Its been almost 2 months since I last wrote up one of my recipes or any of my latest cooking/baking ventures, which is a shame as I have been in the kitchen as always, but I have found myself rather busy lately and therefore my admin commitments to the blog have gone a little down hill, however I am back in business and firstly I had to upload my recipe for Banoffee Pie!
Banoffee Pie is my brothers absolute favourite and as he has been working so hard recently and lacking in the free time department I told him I would make him a massive fudge cake to make him feel better, and he said 'Nope, Ill have a Banoffee Pie please'. So luckily for him, it was May half term last week and I had time to spare!
This recipe is a real simple one, but effective and tasty: you can choose to have either a pastry base or a biscuit base, however for me I stick with the classic pastry base. I also insist on making my own pastry and although its not for everyone I make it into a little bit of a mission for myself, however you can buy a ready made pastry case to save yourself time and effort!


Banoffee Pie

Ingredients

225g plain flour
110g butter (room temperature)
80g sugar
1 egg
2 ripe bananas
397g Carnation Caramel Tin
300ml double cream
Cocoa for dusting


Method

Start by making the pastry: place the butter and flour in a food processor and whizz until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Add the sugar and whizz again until incorporated.
Crack the egg into the food processor to bring the pastry together. If the pastry is too crumbly, add a splash of milk to moisten.
Once a dough is formed, place in the fridge for 10 minutes, then well oil a pastry case.
Roll out the pastry to a 1cm thickness and lay into the pastry dish. Ensure the pastry is pressed into the case firmly and bake with baking beans for 20 minutes until light brown in an oven heated to 190oc. Once baked allow the pastry to cool completely.
Dice the bananas into thin disks and arrange at the bottom of the pastry case, evenly.
The beauty of the Carnation caramel is that it has already been done for you, so spoon out the caramel and smooth down with a spatula.
For the cream I hand whisked it, as you don't want to over whisk it, you want it to be silky smooth rather than airy. Whish until the cream leaves a trail, then spoon the cream directly onto the pie in the middle and spread out a little, however I left space between the edges and the cream so that you can see the contrast in colour and the caramel.
To finish I gave the pie a dusting of cocoa, however you can also grate chocolate to go on top!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comments and Feel Free to ask Questions...