Thursday 4 February 2016

Carrot Cake

My all time favourite cake is a carrot cake. Every year for my birthday I bake one. I mean I could have my boyfriend buy me one or even make me one but nothing comes close to this cup cake recipe, it is simply divine and with further fear of blowing my own trumpet, it looks spectacular also. this cake is a total showstopper and if you are as much of a fan as carrot cake as I am this is one for you.



Ingredients
Cake
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
6 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 large finely-grated fresh carrots
1/2 cup raisons
1/2 cup walnuts
Topping
250g cream cheese
1 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
7 cups powdered sugar
 

 
Method


Preheat the oven to 190 oc. Lightly grease and flour 2 fairly deep 8" cake tins.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl beat the eggs, then gradually add to the dry ingredients. It will be very thick!
Add the vegetable oil to bring the mix together.
Add the carrot, by handfuls, ensuring you are mixing well, once the carrot is incorporate you can add the dried fruits and nuts.
Divide the mixture between the 2 tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
Ensure the cakes are completely cool before you ice them.
To make the icing, place the butter and the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and using an electric whisk combine on a high speed.
Add the vanilla, salt and powdered sugar, adding gradually and whisking on a slow speed. If you want to thicken up your icing then add more powered sugar.
Construct the cake by smoothing icing directly on top of the bottom sponge, then placing the second sponge on top.
I tend to ice the sides, fairly thickly, then sprinkle the sides with mixed nuts.
I then smooth icing on top of the cake to ensure a even finishing. Then using a large, rose piping nozzle, I pipe roses on top of the icing.
It gives a simple yet beautiful finish.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comments and Feel Free to ask Questions...